The Pillars of the Earth

What would Guybrush Threepwood do?
Azad
Adventurer Extraordinaire

The Pillars of the Earth

Post by Azad »

Set in 12th century England, a time of great poverty and war, “The Pillars of the Earth” takes place in the fictional town of Kingsbridge as it begins the construction of a Cathedral to assure wealth and security for its people. Philip, a monk, becomes the prior of Kingsbridge abbey. Jack, an ambitious architect, is commissioned to build the village cathedral. Aliena and her younger brother Richard have to survive on their own; after their father, the Earl of Shiring, is incarcerated and murdered. Meanwhile, prior Philip's rivals, bishop Waleran and William Hamleigh, a vengeful noble rejected by Aliena, see the town and its rise to importance as a thorn in their flesh. They want to see Kingsbridge burn.

The original novel by Ken Follett has sold more than 26 million copies until today.

Features

A thousand-page novel, adapted as a videogame across 21 chapters
Change events from the novel and influence the fates of its characters
Faithful rendition of the 12th century with over 200 hand-painted backgrounds
Three main playable protagonists, with two extra playable characters
Orchestral soundtrack by the FILMharmonic Orchestra, Prague
http://press.daedalic.com/new-game-base ... his-summer#

Prima parte apare pe 15 August.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Azad

Re: The Pillars of the Earth

Post by Azad »

I requested this review assignment eagerly, and then almost immediately regretted it, for a very simple reason: The Pillars of the Earth is my favorite book ever. I have always adored every aspect of this extraordinary novel, a book I consider to be as close to perfect as a work of fiction can be. And therefore, I couldn’t help but be apprehensive of all the ways that Daedalic could have gotten this very wrong as I was booting up. Six hours later, other than some minor concerns about the character art, overall I’m impressed by the awesome quality of this game and the surprising effectiveness of how choice mechanics have been introduced into such an established story, and I’m truly excited to continue the Kingsbridge tale into the next interactive Book.
https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/33359
ola small dickie
Big Daddy

Post by ola small dickie »

"The complete three-part adaptation of Ken Follett's epic historical novel proves to be a monumental achievement in interactive storytelling."

The Good:

Marvelous storytelling through a triumphant story of good, evil, love and loss
Exceptional soundtrack and voice acting throughout
Faithful to the novel while still introducing elements of sincere choice.

The Bad:

Light on actual gameplay, without significant challenge
Characters don’t look great
A very deliberately paced experience.

Our Verdict:

The 20-plus hour commitment to The Pillars of the Earth is well worth it to enjoy this interactive towering tale, faithfully adapted to near-perfection by Daedalic. For patient gamers, this is not a narrative adventure that should be missed.

https://www.gog.com/game/ken_folletts_t ... eason_pass

https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/35301
Currently playing: Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse
Azad

Post by Azad »

L-am terminat zilele astea. Superb dpdv audio-vizual, reuseste sa creeze o atmosfera medievala cum nu prea am mai intalnit in jocuri. Tin sa laud si voice-actingul. Cred ca e cel mai "high polished" adventure facut de Daedalic pana acum. Povestea urmeaza evenimentele din carte, cu alegeri neimportante dar interesante presarate pe parcursul jocului. Nu cred ca pot numi scriitura una de inalta calitate sau finete, dar a functionat. Am uitat sa mentionez puzzle-urile, banale de altfel. Recomand.

Return to “Adventure & Quests”